Strategy to 2020 aims to put Cochrane evidence at the heart of health decision-making all over the world.
It defines how we intend to accomplish this and provides a framework for Cochrane's future decision-making, helping us respond to the strategic opportunities and challenges that we face in the next decade and beyond. It is the result of a collaborative process undertaken by our global network of contributors; and represents the collective vision of the organization to 2020 that relies on those contributors to ensure its success.
Strategy to 2020 aims to achieve four key Goals: structured as three interlocking areas of equal focus and priority (Goals 1-3), underpinned by a fourth foundational area (Goal 4) designed to strengthen the organization and support our mission:
GOAL 1: Producing evidence
To produce high-quality, relevant, up-to-date systematic reviews, and other synthesized research evidence to inform health decision making.
GOAL 2: Making our evidence accessible
To make Cochrane evidence accessible and useful to everybody, everywhere in the world.
GOAL 3: Advocating for evidence
To make Cochrane the ‘home of evidence' to inform health decision making, build greater recognition of our work, and become the leading advocate for evidence-informed health care.
GOAL 4: Building an effective sustainable organization
To be a diverse, inclusive, and transparent international organization that effectively harnesses the enthusiasm and skills of our contributors, is guided by our principles, governed accountably, managed efficiently, and makes optimal use of its resources.
Cochrane's Governing Board approves annual targets for delivery by the Cochrane community and Central Executive Team in support of Strategy to 2020.
In 2019, Cochrane Groups and the Central Executive Team will:
- Achieve the annual objectives and targets of Cochrane’s Content Strategy
- Assure the quality and consistency of Cochrane’s editorial process
- Make Cochrane Reviews more accessible to decision makers
- Review our policies on Open Access to Cochrane Reviews and datasets
- Continue to deliver more features and enhancements in the Cochrane Library
- Support health policy makers to use Cochrane evidence and new advocacy initiatives
- Build capacity in the Cochrane community to produce more complex reviews and undertake knowledge translation activities
- Evaluate, plan and begin implementation of an improved Editorial Management System for Cochrane Review production
- Strengthen Cochrane as a global organization through a series of initiatives
Read more about how the 2019 Targets will be delivered on the Cochrane Community website.
How will we define success?
Cochrane has developed a document that provides the wider Cochrane community, and all of Cochrane’s external stakeholders, with a definition of success for each of the Strategy to 2020 Objectives; an assessment of predicted progress by the end of 2018; and a framework for establishing the work remaining to be done to reach that definition of success. The document is intended to be relevant until 2020, but developed and updated as work is completed and the organization adapts to new circumstances. It's an update of the version published in 2017.