WHO is planning a landmark issue of its journal, which will focus on its normative leadership function (development of evidence-based guidelines etc). The Cochrane community is encouraged to submit a paper by 1 March 2024.
One of the key roles of the World Health Organization (WHO) is to develop evidence-based guidelines and other forms of guidance to support Member States with public health decision-making. Cochrane supports this normative function through our ongoing collaboration, including through providing evidence synthesis and methodological support for WHO’s consideration in the development of new guidance.
WHO is planning a landmark issue of its journal, the Bulletin of World Health Organization (the Bulletin), which will focus on its normative leadership function. This issue will publish in October 2024 to coincide with the annual World Evidence-Based Health Care Day. WHO has launched a request for papers and is particularly interested in country level perspectives and in articles that propose innovative but feasible ways by which the WHO can further strengthen its normative leadership and guidance role.
Topics of interest include:
- Where has WHO succeeded in its normative leadership role?
- In what specific areas has it successfully shaped global health, and why were these initiatives successful?
- Where has WHO normative guidance been less impactful? If so, why was this the case, and what lessons can be learnt to improve impact in the future?
- What does the future of WHO’s normative function look like, particularly in the context of digital technology and artificial intelligence?
- What aspects of the Organization’s mandate, structure, function and administration need to be further strengthened or changed?
Due to Cochrane’s breadth of expertise and knowledge in this area, Cochrane’s Groups and Networks across the world are encouraged to consider submitting a paper to this issue.
The deadline for submissions is 1 March 2024.
- More information about this upcoming Bulletin issue and how to submit a paper.
- If you have any questions or are considering submitting, please let the Advocacy and Partnerships team know at email@example.com.