To establish the accuracy of symptoms, ultrasound and biomarkers alone or in combination for the diagnosis of ovarian cancer in pre- and postmenopausal women.
To compare the accuracy of different tests or test combinations.
We will investigate the following sources of heterogeneity:Population
- Clinical setting (generalist/primary care/community/family practice) versus specialist setting (cancer unit/cancer centre/gynaecological oncology)
- Menopausal status
- Test positivity threshold
- Experience of the ultrasound test operator (general sonographers versus specialist interest)
- Histological subtype
- Case-control versus other study designs
- Study quality: for study participants not receiving surgery initially following a negative index test result: 12 months follow-up versus less than 12 months follow-up
This is a protocol.