Specifications: Part Time (0.6 FTE) 12 Months Fixed Term Contract
Application Closing Date: 31/08/2018
This role is an exciting opportunity to use your experience as a Medical Terminology Manager to make a difference in the field of health care research.
As part of the Cochrane Linked Data team you will have a lead role in developing and maintaining the Cochrane Vocabulary, which includes managing and implementing policies regarding purpose, scope, requirements, concept models, hierarchies and terms for the Cochrane Vocabulary.
You will manage and deliver the quality validation process used in the maintenance of the Cochrane PICO Vocabulary and Ontology.
You will quality check the PICO (Population, Intervention, Comparator, Outcome) meta-data for biomedical research information, coded using controlled vocabularies and terminology sets, including SNOMED CT, RxNorm, MedDRA and WHO ATC. Research information includes systematic reviews, clinical trial reports and randomised control trials.
We are looking for a self-motivated and highly organised individual who is able to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse range of contacts across the world. The successful candidate will also have:
- Significant theoretical and practical experience in information science, medical informatics, or closely-related discipline
- Minimum 3 years experience with the practical application of clinical coding systems (SNOMED CT, RxNorm, MedDRA, WHO ATC) to a diverse range of content
- Experience with evidence-based medicine, systematic reviews, trial design, and methodologies
- Demonstrated experience with taxonomies, thesauri, ontologies, and other hierarchical schema
- Experience with the maintenance and governance of metadata and the processes around curation, versioning, and management of controlled terminology sets
- Broad topic experience across all health domains
- Experience or knowledge of techniques of information retrieval and understanding of users’ needs - search, browse, faceted browse, user interfaces, and federated querying.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal), good collaboration skills, and the ability to work effectively across teams and organizations in a global (mostly virtual) work environment.
- Results-oriented and the ability to deliver on a schedule
- Strong analytical and judgment skills including ability to make decisions and manage risk.
- Attention to detail
Cochrane is a global, independent network of health practitioners, researchers, patient advocates and others, responding to the challenge of making vast amounts of research evidence useful for informing decisions about health. We do this by synthesizing research findings to produce the best available evidence on what can work, what might harm and where more research is needed. Our work is recognised as the international gold standard for high quality, trusted information. An understanding of Cochrane’s work and health research more generally is an advantage, but not essential.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send a CV along with a supporting statement, including salary expectations, to email@example.com with Medical Terminology Manager in the subject line. The supporting statement should indicate why you are applying for the post, and how far you meet the requirements for the role outlined in the job description using specific examples. Please list your experience, achievements, knowledge, personal qualities, and skills which you feel are relevant to the post.
For further information, please download the full job description.
Deadline for applications: 31st August 2018 (12 midnight GMT)
Interviews to be held on: (TBC)