For more advanced searches, go to the Cochrane Library website.
Our health evidence - how can it help you
"Cochrane summarizes the findings so people making important decisions – you, your doctor, the people who write medical guidelines – can use unbiased information to make difficult choices without having to first read every study out there..."
Sifting the evidence, The Guardian, 14 September 2016
Cochrane produces systematic reviews of primary research in human health care and policy. Each Cochrane Review addresses a clearly formulated question; for example:
Can antibiotics help in alleviating the symptoms of a sore throat?
To answer this question, we search for and collate all the existing primary research on a topic that meets certain criteria; then we assess it using stringent guidelines, to establish whether or not there is conclusive evidence about a specific treatment. Cochrane Reviews are internationally recognized as the highest standard in evidence-based health care and we publish them online in the Cochrane Library.
We update Cochrane Reviews regularly to incorporate new research, so that you can base treatment decisions on the most up-to-date and reliable health evidence.
Using the search box above, you can search for the Plain Language Summaries which are a key section of each Cochrane Review.
What are Cochrane's Plain Language Summaries?
Plain Language Summaries (PLSs) help people to understand and interpret research findings and are included in all Cochrane Reviews. PLSs are created using standard content, structure and language to ease understanding and translation.
We have over 7000 PLSs that you can find using the search box above.
- Allergy & intolerance
- Blood disorders
- Child health
- Complementary & alternative medicine
- Consumer & communication strategies
- Dentistry & oral health
- Developmental, psychosocial & learning problems
- Ear, nose & throat
- Effective practice & health systems
- Endocrine & metabolic
- Eyes & vision
- Gastroenterology & hepatology
- Genetic disorders
- Health & safety at work
- Heart & circulation
- Infectious disease
- Kidney disease
- Lungs & airways
- Mental health
- Neonatal care
- Orthopaedics & trauma
- Pain & anaesthesia
- Pregnancy & childbirth
- Public health
- Skin disorders
- Tobacco, drugs & alcohol
How to search for Plain Language Summaries
Want to know more about health evidence?
Cochrane publishes a wealth of material to support and guide your health decision making. Here are some selected resources:
- Featured reviews - find out more about the latest featured Cochrane evidence with links to the Plain Language Summaries and full reviews
- Podcasts - listen to the latest Cochrane evidence in an easy to access audio format, allowing you to stay up to date on newly published reviews wherever you are
- Join Cochrane - receive our monthly newsletter and develop new skills and interests
- Cochrane Training - find out more about our learning resources and the training we offer
- Cochrane Consumer Network - a group for patients, carers, family members, and others who are interested in high-quality evidence and helping to be a part of producing it
- Testing Treatments interactive - read why it’s important for treatments to be tested carefully. This is a free e-book and related resources
- Students 4 Best Evidence - is an online community for students interested in evidence-based healthcare, packed full of useful resources