Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions
The Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions is the official document that describes in detail the process of preparing and maintaining Cochrane systematic reviews on the effects of healthcare interventions. The current version of the Handbook is 5.1.0 (updated March 2011). It is available in various formats, as detailed below.
There is also a Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Diagnostic Test Accuracy.
- What's new? [PDF]
- Available formats
- Updates and corrections
- Book version
- Supplementary material
- Previous versions
Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011] was uploaded in browsable format on March 21st 2011. It should be cited as:
Higgins JPT, Green S (editors). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org.
Details of how to cite individual chapters are available at the end of each chapter.
- Chapter 8 (Assessing risk of bias in included studies) was updated for Version 5.1.0, and is available in PDF format here.
- The browsable Handbook (version 5.1.0) is also available from the help menu in Review Manager 5.1 (software for composing Cochrane Reviews).
- Version 5.0.2 [updated September 2009] is available as a book: see below.
- Printable (PDF) versions of all Handbook chapters (Version 5.1.0) are available to members of The Cochrane Collaboration via Archie (under Handbook Editors in the Resources section). A full contents list for Version 5.1.0 is also available via Archie, as is an index to the Version 5.0.1, which should correspond well with Version 5.1.0 (except for parts of Chapters 8 and 11).
Updates and corrections to Version 5.1.0 that have not yet been implemented are listed here.
The Handbook was published as a hardback book by Wiley-Blackwell in September 2008, was reprinted with corrections in July 2009 and has been reprinted in an identical version several times since. The current book version corresponds to Version 5.0.2 of the Handbook.
The Glossary was last formally updated in May 2005 (Version 4.2.5); and was updated informally during 2010.
The current formal version of the Glossary is also available as a PDF:
- The Cochrane Collaboration Glossary : Version 4.2.5, May 2005 [PDF] 383KB
The browsable Handbook includes Appendix A: Guide to the contents of a Cochrane Methodology protocol and review
The following supplementary material is available for download.
Chapter 9: Analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses
- Statistical algorithms in Review Manager 5.1 August 2010 [PDF] 99KB
Chapter 11: Presenting results and 'Summary of findings' tables
- Considerations and recommendations for figures in Cochrane reviews: graphs of statistical data December 2003; updated February 2008 [PDF] 104KB
Chapter 13: Non-randomized studies
- Data collection form for non-randomized studies [Word] 81KB
- Newcastle-Ottawa scale for assessing quality of a cohort study [Word] 45 KB
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 4.2.6: September 2006 [PDF] 2.8MB
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.0.0: February 2008 [browsable]
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.0.2: September 2009 [browsable]
Julian Higgins (Co-Editor)
MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge
and Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York
Rachel Churchill (Co-Editor)
Academic Unit of Psychiatry, School of Social and Community Medicine
University of Bristol
Miranda Cumpston (Co-Editor)
Training co-ordinator, The Cochrane Collaboration
Jackie Chandler (Co-Editor)
Methods co-ordinator, The Cochrane Collaboration
Sally Green stepped down as a Handbook editor in March 2012.