Specifications: Full Time, Permanent
Application Closing Date: 1st November 2019 at midnight (GMT)
This role is an exciting opportunity to use your experience as a Senior Editor to make a difference in the field of health care research.
The purpose of this role is to support the Editor in Chief of the Cochrane Library and help to deliver the methods-related objectives and targets of the Cochrane Editorial and Methods Department (EMD).
The role’s duties can be divided into the two areas:
Editorial and Methods Leadership
- To play a major role in the development of methods used in Cochrane by assisting in the development, implementation or evaluation of new or existing methods in Cochrane Reviews
- To ensure that the methods support from a dedicated unit in the EMD meets the needs of the CRG Networks
- To support the Editor in Chief in the development and implementation of Cochrane’s Content Strategy to ensure the Cochrane Library remains a premier international source of healthcare evidence
- To ensure that appropriate methodological review has been carried out for high profile reviews and reviews using complex methods prior to publication
- To liaise with the Deputy Editor in Chief to support the efficient production of high-quality and timely Cochrane Reviews
- Developing, managing and supporting the delivering of projects that are relevant to the EMD’s mission; to involve managing schedules, supervising less experienced staff, and co-ordination with contributors and publisher
- Contributing to the development of methods-related editorial policies and supporting the Deputy Editor in Chief with their implementation
- Working closely with the Cochrane Library Product Owner, Deputy Editor in Chief, and SMT to support delivery of publishing strategy for Cochrane
- Working with members of the Learning team to help develop training that meets methods learning needs of Cochrane contributors
- Contributing to Cochrane’s budget planning processes, and managing the resources associated with the Methods portfolio
- Identifying continuous improvement opportunities and work with colleagues to ensure that new processes, workflows systems and lessons learned are implemented effectively
We are looking for a self-motivated and highly organised individual who is able to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse range of contacts across the world. The successful candidate will also have:
- Degree in relevant field or equivalent; relevant postgraduate qualification is desirable
- Knowledge and skills relevant to the systematic review methods, including familiarity with Cochrane guidance and standards on the design, conduct, and reporting of systematic reviews
- Experience of developing, implementing, and using different methods in systematic reviews
- Proven ability to solve problems and make decisions, think strategically, with awareness of when to use her/his discretion and when to escalate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; and verifiable competence working with people from a variety of cultures and leading geographically dispersed teams
- Proficient IT skills, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong organization and prioritization skills; and an ability to work methodically, accurately, and with attention to detail
- Experience of initiating, creating, and commissioning reports
- Experience of team and individual line management and supervision, including working remotely
- Develop and maintain working relationships with key stakeholders
- Available for occasional travel locally and internationally
Cochrane is a global, independent network of health practitioners, researchers, patient advocates and others, responding to the challenge of making vast amounts of research evidence useful for informing decisions about health. We do this by synthesizing research findings to produce the best available evidence on what can work, what might harm and where more research is needed. Our work is recognised as the international gold standard for high quality, trusted information.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send a CV along with a supporting statement to email@example.com with “Senior Methods Editor” in the subject line. The supporting statement should indicate why you are applying for the post, and how far you meet the requirements for the post outlined in the job description using specific examples. List your experience, achievements, knowledge, personal qualities, and skills which you feel are relevant to the post.
- For further information, please download the full job description from here.
- Deadline for applications: 1st November 2019
- Interviews will be held on: Mid november, dates to be confirmed
- For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org