The objective of this review is to determine the effects of therapeutic HBO (with or without hypothermia) on death and long-term neurodevelopmental disabilities in term newborn infants with HIE. Furthermore, the short-term medical effects and side effects of HBO will be studied.
- HBO versus supportive care;
- HBO versus hypothermia therapy;
- HBO plus hypothermia versus hypothermia alone;
- HBO plus erythropoietin versus erythropoietin alone.
Subgroup analyses were planned on the basis of:
- severity of HIE (mild, moderate, severe) (Sarnat 1976; Finer 1981);
- the therapeutic time window, by timing of commencement of the intervention (< 6 hours versus 6 hours to 7 days versus > 7 days);
- the peak pressure of HBO (< 2 ATA versus > 2ATA);
- the number of courses of HBO (single course versus multiple courses).
This is a protocol.