Job Title: Interim Translations Co-ordinator
Type of contract: Fixed term, June 2018 to January 2019
The Interim Translation Co-ordinator ensures the successful delivery of the Cochrane’s translation strategy and work plan as part of Cochrane’s Strategy to 2020 targets and goals and the Knowledge Translation (KT) Framework under the direction of the Head of KT. This person represents translation and multi-language needs across Cochrane’s Central Executive departments to ensure they are taken into account and implemented within editorial, communication and technological developments; coordinates the maintenance and development of infrastructure and processes for translation; oversees and supports all translation projects; and represents translation and multi-language matters within Cochrane as well as externally.
Key Result Areas
Work closely with, and facilitate communication between Cochrane’s Central Executive, translation project teams, and Cochrane’s publisher, John Wiley & Sons, to:
- Take overall responsibility for the day-to-day operations required to deliver the translation strategy as part of Cochrane’s Strategy to 2020 and KT Framework;
- Ensure the implementation of multi-language approaches as part of the wider KT implementation, help coordinate the responsible working group and deliver its workplan;
- Oversee, support and engage with all on-going and planned translation projects;
- Train and support translation project teams with their translation and dissemination activities to ensure effectiveness and quality;
- Act as product owner and subject matter expert to develop and maintain multi-language functionality in all of Cochrane’s processes and products, including the Cochrane Library, cochrane.org, Archie, Sugar CRM, editorial and organisational processes;
- Maintain and develop the Translation Management System (TMS) integration with Memsource, to take into account user feedback and improve usability;
- Coordinate the review and adaption of Cochrane’s translation strategy.
- Background in translation, linguistics, communications or a related field;
- Excellent working proficiency in English and working proficiency in at least one other language; additional languages are an advantage;
- Verifiable competence and willingness to establish and maintain effective working relations with people from a variety of cultural and linguistic backgrounds and geographically dispersed teams;
- Ability to work independently and accountably under general direction, and to provide sound advice and support to others;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (spoken, written and presentational) and a collaborative management style;
- Proven project management and organisational skills; and the ability to coordinate the work of teams and individuals, ensuring the quality and timeliness of outputs.
- Working experience or knowledge in content localisation and related matters including multi-language search and communications.
- Technological knowledge, comfortable using specialised software and dealing with technical issues;
- Time management skills, ability to work to deadlines and flexible hours as needed;
- Ability to travel internationally on an occasional basis.
Cochrane is a global, independent network of health practitioners, researchers, patient advocates and others, responding to the challenge of making vast amounts of research evidence useful for informing decisions about health. We do this by synthesizing research findings to produce the best available evidence on what can work, what might harm and where more research is needed. Our work is recognised as the international gold standard for high quality, trusted information
If you would like to apply for this position, please send a CV along with a supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Interim Translations Co-ordinator” in the subject line. The supporting statement should indicate why you are applying for the post, and how far you meet the requirements for the post outlined in the job description using specific examples. List your experience, achievements, knowledge, personal qualities, and skills which you feel are relevant to the post.
For further information, please download the full job description.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 23th May 2018 (12 midnight GMT)